Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Heavenly Hummus

I know this shot is totally unappetizing but just to let you
know I didn't get a chance for a food shot because my guests
just scooped the hummus straight from this container.
So this is "bottom of the barrel" shot so to speak :)


Hello! Here's the recipe for hummus I promised to share.

INGREDIENTS
2 cans chickpeas (I prefer to drain and rinse the chickpeas)
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
1-3 large cloves garlic, peeled (number of cloves depends on how much you love garlic. I do 3 but that might be too strong for most people)
2 tsp. sesame seeds
3-4 shakes of ground cumin
2-3 shakes of paprika (I like spanish paprika or pimenton)
1/4 c. water
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro or parsley for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend on low speed or pulse depending on your machine's capability. You may need to stop at intervals to push down the ingredients. If the mix is too dry, dribble in some olive oil or water (whichever you prefer. I love olive oil so that what I would use). I suggest adding a tablespoon at a time of the liquid so you don't make a mistake and end up with too watery mix. Be patient. I like to blend it to the same consistency as peanut butter.

When done, scrape the mixture on to a serving bowl. You can garnish it by dribbling just a bit of olive oil on top, a light sprinkling of paprika and the parsley.

Serve with corn chips or pita bread. I like to take pita pockets, toast them in a toaster and slice them like pizza. Then your guests can spread the hummus in the pita pockets slices and munch away!

You may also notice that I skipped the Tahini in this recipe. I didn't find any in my local grocer and didn't have the patience to run from store to store. You can make your own tahini by blending lightly toasted sesame seeds with olive oil in a food processor. You'll need to get the right proportion between seeds and oil in order to create the right pasty consistency. Again, adding the liquid little by little as you blend it is better than ending up with a watery tahini mixture.

Have fun!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails