Sunday, July 12, 2009

Locked Into Pattern Mode

My style has always been freeform. I was always the type who never stuck to patterns, who never followed instructions to the letter, always improvising to my own specifications. When I started beading, I worked on designs from my head, never drawing designs like other artists, just picked up my tools and worked away and improvised my work as I progressed. I guess it was basically because I was too impatient. I just wanted a finished piece in my hand! Here's a sample of what a freeform bracelet would look like.Well, it seems I've developed some patience. And stepped outside of my comfort zone. Now I'm working on patterns and even worst (?) I lay out my designs first! I would either drawn or design first on a beading software program before I'd pick up bead, needle and thread. It began with the triangle patterns I developed into pendants and blogged about a few months ago. Now I'm finally executing the different patterns I designed for bracelets. Here I gotta say my inspirations came from my beadweaving peeps SandFibers and Time2Cre8, two gracious and highly talented designers.

The black and white bracelet in the photo below is a zebra inspired pattern. I rarely do anything that is animal print inspired - but like I said, I've stepped outside of my comfort zone. The bracelet next to it is a set of swirls. Yes, just swirls. Something that's a bit mezmerizing to look at don't you think? And finally, the bracelet of vibrant blues, purples and greens reminds me of waves or chevrons but in an irregular pattern (hint of freeform there, don't you think?).

5 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

ooooooo...lovely patterns, Regina :D

(And thanks for the mention, chica!)

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was searching the web for information regarding beaded jewelry and found your blog, Bead Jewelry Shopgirl. Clicking that link made my day; the content is amazing. This particular post is insightful. The fact that you’ve stepped away from your comfort zone and created such wonderful pieces, especially the zebra pattern, speaks volumes about your artistic ability.

There’s a bead site I use for all my beading, and thought you might like to give them a review. Sedona Stones (.com) has wonderful products for cheap. I’m sure you can make the same high caliber and extraordinary pieces with their beads. For your convenience I’ve attached a link:

www.sedonastones.com

If you have any questions shoot me an email, dcruse@mivamerchant.com.


Thanks, and keep up the thrilling blog,

Daniel

Mun Cutest Design said...

lovely,good job :)

MCW Beads and More said...

I enjoy all artcles that deal with seed beads. Keep writing.

Unknown said...

Hey I was looking for seed beads and I stumbled into your blog!!! Your designs look very impressive and colorful. I am unable to find nice seed beads @ a nominal price... Can you please suggest where I could buy nice beads @ an affordable rate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails